ABOUT THIS DEGREE
Life University championed the creation of the Bachelor’s Degree in Positive Human Development and Social Change (PHDSC), one that is unique among Liberal Arts degrees. This degree will prepare you for the rapidly changing economic, intellectual, cultural and social challenges of the 21st century. If you have ever desired a holistic yet relevant, robust and practical higher education experience, then the PHDSC degree is for you.
This degree offers five Concentration Areas as well as a General degree for non-concentrators.
- Peace Studies and Sustainable Human Flourishing
- Secular Ethics
- Contemplative Studies
- Positive Business
- Positive Psychology
The purpose of the PHDSC degree is to prepare students with the knowledge, skills and character strengths necessary to have an effect on positive and sustainable social change in various areas of society while they personally flourish as well.
The degree program includes instruction and lab work on personal skills such as emotional intelligence and ethical mindfulness; social skills including compassion, empathy and empowered communication; and systems knowledge with a focus on social, economic, political and environmental systems. Students also complete coursework in business, psychology, sociology, the humanities, and peace and conflict studies.
We place a strong emphasis on ongoing collaborative learning, research and teamwork projects for social good.
Depending upon Concentration area, students will be prepared for graduate study in a variety of disciplines, including:
- Peace and Conflict Studies, International Studies, Peace Research and Education
- Business, Economics, Management or Social Entrepreneurship
- Positive Psychology, Clinical and Counseling Psychology, Life Coaching, Social Work, Sport Health Sciences or Nutrition
- Ethics, Religion, Contemplative Science and/or Practices
Depending upon Concentration area, employment possibilities include:
- Business, Entrepreneurship, Corporate Philanthropy, Non-profit, and/or Humanitarian work
- Teaching (with credentialing process), Social Work, Peace Research and Education, Ministry or Life Coaching
- Creative Economies (Film, Music, Entertainment, etc.)
- Human Resources, Sales, Marketing and Strategic Planning
- Meditation Instructing or Consulting (requires additional training)
From the Bureau of Labor Statistics: Overall employment of social workers is projected to grow 11% from 2018 to 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations. Employment growth will be driven by increased demand for healthcare and social services, but will vary by specialization.
Life University offers an Associate of Arts in Positive Human Development and Social Change as part of The Chillon Project, an undertaking of Life University’s Center for Compassion, Integrity and Secular Ethics (CCISE), in partnership with the Georgia State Department of Corrections (GDC). This is the first full degree program offered in a correctional facility by a college or university based in the state of Georgia, and one of the few such programs in the Southeastern U.S.
Coming soon …
If you have any current students who could provide quotes, email William.Brooks2@LIFE.edu.
Other Academic Information
Other Relevant Information